‘Growing stronger each day’: CT child recovering after allegedly shot by mother

A memorial has been set up outside a Plymouth home where police say two children were shot Friday night. A 15-year-old was killed and a 7-year-old was seriously injured, police said.

PLYMOUTH — The child wounded in a deadly shooting in Terryville last week is stable and “getting stronger each day,” according to a fundraiser for the family.

As the community continues to rally around the Bell family, a GoFundMe page was created this week by Susan DiAngelis Owens.

“We are hoping, as a community, we can offer some financial assistance for funeral and long-term medical care costs for the children involved,” Owens said in her description for the fundraiser. “All proceeds will go directly to the Bell family.”

As of Friday morning, more than 300 donors had raised $27,540.

The shooting happened on Nov. 13 at the Bells’ Terryville home. The 15-year-old was killed and a 7-year-old remains hospitalized.

“He is stable and growing stronger each day with the love, care and support he is receiving from his family and hospital staff,” Owens said. “His healing journey is uncertain at this time.”

Owens said she raised the fundraiser goal to $40,000 in the hopes of being able to ensure the cost of any additional medical bills will be covered.

She also said services for the teen will be held Friday from 5 to 8 p.m. at Hillside Community Church in Bristol. She said it will be a walk-through wake, with 6 feet of social distancing and masks required.

The funeral will be held privately at a later date.

The community gathered virtually last weekend for a vigil.

The children’s mother, 43-year-old Naomi Bell, appeared in court Monday in connection with the charges from this case — murder with special circumstances and criminal attempt to commit murder with special circumstances.

Jassette Henry, Bell’s public defender, said her client recently had two “psychiatric episodes” that required her to be hospitalized for more than two weeks.

According to an affidavit of probable cause for the arrest, Owen Bell told investigators his wife became depressed after her sister died in 2013. He said his wife’s condition worsened when the COVID-19 pandemic began.

Connecticut Media Group