WINCHESTER — The Winchester Center Historical Association is restoring the 18th century “Old Academy,” most commonly called the “Chapel,” which is a museum of local history located across from the Green in Winchester Center.
The association applied for and received a $10,000 matching Grant from the 1772 Foundation as administered by the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation to restore the building.
The foundation stones have shifted considerably, causing the timber structure to become distressed. The building has bowed and a substantial length of a wall no longer has foundation support. Floor joists have come out of their sill sockets, which could lead to the floor collapsing.
To remedy the problem and restore the building to a sound structural condition, the building has been jacked up and moved so that a new foundation can be installed. Local members have been removing and labeling the huge stones that have been supporting the building since its inception.
The contractor moved the building off of its foundation Aug 6, and shortly after that, began work on a new foundation. It is anticpated that the chapel will be back on its original site by the fall.
The Winchester Center Historical Association is a 501c(3) corporation and all donations are tax deductible. Persons wishing to help can send their contributions to the Winchester Center Historical Association, PO Box 117, Winchester Center, CT 06094.